The International Harvester R-Series Rear Axle
(Source: International Light Duty Trucks, International Harvester Co., Publication CR-485-C)
Proved long-life rear axle
Hypoid gearing, heavier housing, wider wheel bearing centers, improved axle ratios, and straddle-mounted pinions are some of the reasons why new International Truck rear axles offer more miles of trouble-free performance.
These improvements, made possible by engineering and manufacturing refinements, provide greater load-carrying capacity per pound of axle weight and proper axle ratios for operations under most severe conditions. They provide greater safety, greater dependability, greater assurance of longer life.
- Wide-base rims increase road stability, prolong tire life, make tire servicing easier.
- Powerful 4-wbeel hydraulic brakes. Self-centering, self-energizing, two-shoe type designed for maximum braking efficiency. Special brake design permits quick, easy adjustment.
- Large-capacity, tapered-roller bearings, wide-spaced for better stability and load support.
- Large-size brake drum easily removed, easily replaced without disturbing other brake parts. Pressed steel back fused to cast-iron braking surface to add strength, cut down weight.
- Self-cleaning slinger and labyrinth-type brake drum seal keep out dirt, mud and moisture; lengthen life of brake lining and drums. Rib reinforces drum, throws off heat.
- Heavy-duty, pressed-steel disc-type wheel.
- One-piece, tubular, banjo-type housing.
- Large-diameter, 16-spline, heat-treated, chrome-nickel-molybdenum, shot-peened steel axle shafts with integral flange. (R-120 and R-130 Series models have full-floating axles; R-110 Series models, semi-floating.)
- Long-lasting differential gears distribute balanced power to axle shaft. Replaceable, hardened thrust washers eliminate differential case wear.
- Accurately matched hypoid ring gear and pinion.
- Efficient oil seal and dust shield.
- Straddle-mounted pinion, three heavy-duty roller bearings for firm alignment with ring gear.
- Large-capacity roller bearings for long life.
- Heavy housing cover welded on. Welding eliminates gasket leaks, provides rigid differential bearing support, and increases sturdiness of housing.
Single Reduction Hypoid Axle (R-1060)
|1. Companion flange.||15. Differential cross pin.|
|2. Propeller flange mounting nut.||16. Hypoid ring gear.|
|3. Propeller flange mounting nut washer.||17. Hypoid ring gear rivet.|
|4. Pinion shaft bearing oil seal.||18. Differential pinion.|
|5. Pinion bearing cage to carrier capscrew.||19. Axle shaft.|
|6. Pinion bearing cage.||20. Differential bearing adjuster.|
|7. Pinion bearing, outer||21. Differential carrier to housing gasket.|
|8. Pinion bearing spacer.||22. Differential carrier to housing capscrew.|
|9. Pinion bearing, inner.||23. Differential roller bearing.|
|10. Hypoid pinion gear (straddle mounting).||24. Differential center block.|
|11. Pinion bearing.||25. Differential cross pin retaining pin.|
|12. Differential side gear.||26. Differential case.|
|13. Axle housing.||27. Differential carrier housing.|
|14. Differential bearing adjuster lock.||28. Pinion bearing cage shim.|